Welcome to my 4th #GreekDinner… please take a seat and enjoy this meal
If you do not know what is #GreekDinner place read click here
For the Meat Sauce
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 onions, chopped
• 2 pounds ground meat
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 cup dry red wine
• 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
• 2 dried bay leaves
• 2 cups water
For the Bechamel sause
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 3 cups whole milk
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 teaspoons coarse salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1. Make the sauce: In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add ground meat, salt, sugar, cinnamon, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook, breaking ground meat, until it is no longer pink. Add wine, and cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in tomato paste, bay leaves, and 2 cups water. Cover, and let simmer 30 minutes, skimming the fat occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside, covered.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pennes pasta; cook until very al dente, according with manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a colander; drain well.
3. Make the bechamel: In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When butter is bubbling, add flour and baking powder. Cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick. Remove pan from heat, and stir in Parmesan, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Set aside, covered, until ready to assemble.
4. To assemble: Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Butter an ovenproof baking dish. Add bit of béchamel sauce to the penes pasta and stir well.
Pure penes pasta into baking dish add a bit of graded cheese,
pure Meat Sauce over the penes pasta, pure the rest of penes pasta and at the end pure the béchamel sauce.
5. Add 5-6 small chopped piece of butter and pure a bit of grated rusk at the end.
Bake until top is set and golden brown, 60 to 70 minutes.
Leave it 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Black – eye peas salad
• 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
• 1 red pepper, finely chopped
• 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
• 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
• 1 small cup of capari
• 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
• 2-3 Pickled cucumber, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, finely grated
• 2 spring onions, finely chopped
• 250gr black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Mix the yellow and red peppers, onion, jalapeno chiles, black-eyed peas, and parsley together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk the red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly to thoroughly blend with the vinegars. Stir in the cumin, salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Yummy!
After a #GreekDinner a Greek Coffee is a must ☺
Thank you Enjoy ☺